Hi, my name is Kayla Gantz and I am rising junior, majoring in Animal Science and minoring in Biochemistry. I will be studying in Belize through C.E.L.A. over the next two weeks. I’ll be doing the Large Animal Veterinary Practices in the Tropics.
I’m super excited to have the opportunity to travel to Belize! Not only will I be able to immerse myself in the culture but I’ll be able to work with animals.
Some tips for packing…
- For scrubs, always check at your local goodwill/thrift store first (I got a full set of scrubs for $3)
- I had to buy a stethoscope. My local vet suggested the brand Littmann
- Make sure to bring LOTS of sunscreen & bug-spray
- Make sure to call your credit card company to let them know you are traveling & ask about anything international fees (My one credit card has a 3% fee but my other card has no charges)
- Check with your cell phone provider about international plans that are available
- Belize is very humid. I’m bringing lots of headbands & bandanas to control my hair
- I’m bringing some cash, mostly $1 & $5. Belize takes U.S. dollar but may give you Belize change in return. Having smaller bills may reduce the amount of Belize money you return to the U.S. with
I’ll be writing blogs throughout my trip so feel free to follow me on my journey in Belize 🙂