There are no words to explain how enjoyable, eye-opening and amazing my trip to Belize was. I met the most amazing people and learned an insane amount of information about large animals. I was able to immerse myself in the culture, cuisine and lifestyle of Belize within such a short amount of time. Even though it was tiring and exhausting at points, and sweaty the ENTIRE time, I’m so happy to have had this opportunity to study abroad.
If you’re reading this write now and thinking about studying abroad, just DO IT. You’ll never get the opportunity to travel, explore and learn like this again.
Some advice on things to pack…
- Bring a LOT more cash than you think ($400 – $600). Most of the trips/activities you do that involve paying for them only want cash (either US or Belizean $)
- If you do bring a credit card, most places only take VISA or Mastercard. I brought my Discover and only three places took it! My credit card company even told me Discover was taken everywhere in Belize.
- Just pay for laundry at the hotel. It may be >$10 but hand-washing your clothes will take FOREVER
- Bring gatorade powder & extra snacks like granola bars. You’ll get super hungry working on the farms every day
- Make sure to bring boots!! A lot of the farms are dirty so having boots allows you to easily clean them instead of cleaning sneakers and having them dry
- Food and drinks are super cheap but remember you are there for two weeks & have to pay for excursions too so manage your money
- Go on the excursions: Mayan Ruins, cave tubing, zip-lining… You’re only in Belize once, so live it up 🙂
- Make sure to pack “hang out” clothes too, not only scrubs. You’ll go out to dinner a lot